The Terrifically Terrible Two

The Terrifically Terrible Two
Powered by Blogger.

The Moe-ster

The Moe-ster

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Lehi's Baptism

This past weekend brought many adventures, the most exciting of which I must share.

Well, it started out like a normal baptismal service. Our nephew who had just turned eight was excited to be baptized, there were friends and family, there was a nice musical number, we were taught about Baptism and the Holy Ghost, but somewhere in the middle of learning about the Holy Ghost, Milo got too noisy to stay in the meeting. So, like a good mom, I took him to the back doorway to stand and watch. And, he promptly ran off. Following behind him (picture a mom in high heels chasing an energetic two year-old), I caught up to him when he stopped at the drinking fountain. I helped him get a drink (and probably said something about going back in by Daddy and Myna), and then I got a drink. As I was drinking, Milo stuck his finger in the metal ventilation slits on the side of the fountain. He started to whine like it hurt and he was scared. I picked him up to try and help him pull his finger out, but it was twisted or caught, and it got cut, badly.

I saw it start to bleed a lot, and ran with Mi into the bathroom where I rinsed it off and tried to wrap it up, but I soon realized that it wasn't stopping bleeding. Also, Milo didn't want me to touch it and kept pulling his hand away from me. So, blood is flinging everywhere, I can't figure out how to get help without making a huge scene in the baptism service (of course, this was the meeting our family decided to sit front and center . . . ), and I am getting super hot.

Finally, Pete heard the screaming enough to come and check on Milo and me as we are running up and down the hall trying to figure out what to do. Pete's Dad came to, and all of us were directed to the kitchen for first aid supplies. Pete takes off down the hall for the first aid kit, and I (in my heels carrying a screaming two year old) race after him.

Things get even more ridiculous in the kitchen as Pete tries to find a band aid amid the first aid supplies - who uses gauze and tape, really? Milo keeps screaming that he hates bandaids, and I start to pass out. I'm not sure how Pete finally convinced our son to put a bandaid on because I started crumpling to the floor. Luckily, my very able sister-in-law happened in on the scene in time to yell, "somebody catch Ashley!" She made sure I got juice and a cold compress.

So, I didn't really ever pass out totally, Milo's finger is doing pretty well, Lehi got baptized (so we were told), and we have really vivid memories of a family event.

The best part was that after we left the baptism, we made a stop at a store where a nice man gave us ice cream sandwiches, and later that night, I was playing with the kids in the Primary room of another church building during Stake Conference. Myna spent the entire conference at the pulpit playing "Primary" at the microphone.

The "messages" she gave while playing included what she learned that day about baptism (since she was the one member of our family who actually saw the baptism). I thought I should share.

- "If somebody gets baptized, we can have ice cream"
- "Milo, the Priesthood says you can get baptized and get ice cream"
- "My message is Milo needs to come over here and get my purse"
- "If you want ice cream, come here and get baptized"
- "Ding a ding a ding, it's a bell for a baptism and ice cream"
- (handing Milo a tithing slip) "Here's a card for a baptism - you can get it wet if you want to and then get an ice cream"

Thanks Myna, I really needed to laugh that night. You are a gem.

5 comments:

Karalee said...

I am glad you are all okay, and I am glad Myna learned something. This made me smile.

Michelle said...

Whew. What a day! Although what was the passing out thing about? Did you just get sick from the sight of blood?

Your Myna is too funny though. What a kid.

Karen said...

Myna if I want more ice cream do I need to get baptized again or can I just come to your house?

Ashley B. said...

Shell - don't ask me why I pass out. I have never passed out before. I'd like to blame it on getting really hot (it was a warm day and the building was stuffy), but maybe I'm queasy at the sight of my own children's blood . . . who knows. What an adventure though.

And Karen, both Myna and I agree that you can have ice cream whenever you'd like - as long as you share with us :)

Melinda DeBirk said...

Holy cow. I just read this and I'm dying at Myna's comments. Dying.